I turned 22 on 22nd October this year and I’ve been intending to write a post about it ever since… but oh… my lazy self.
I TURNED 22 ON 22!! ALRIGHT!! I’M ALLOWED TO BE EXCITED ABOUT IT AND I’M ALLOWED TO NOT POST ABOUT IT UNTIL AFTER A WEEK RIGHT??? RIGHT??
(*whispers to self* Sit down Srish, you’re looking stupid! )
Okay I’m sorry. I don’t know what I’m writing. Alright, back to the subject, hmm…
So what’s changed between 21 and 22?
Nothing. And everything.
Every year it’s like “Oh it’s my birthday… I’m officially an year older but do I really feel older?”
“Yes, of course, I feel older and wiser.”
This year, the answer is YES! This year it genuinely feels like 22.
I’m wiser than 21. I’m sillier than 23.
I’ve never felt more myself than I’m feeling now. At 22.
It almost feels like I’m getting more emotional about it than needed. Okay okay, calm down… it’s nothing super normal.
Alright so, here’s the thing… 22nd year has been the ‘year of growth’ for me. I’ve seen so much. I’ve done so much. I’ve said so much. I’ve felt so much. Basically, I’ve gone through a lot of things in a lot of ways. But mostly, the biggest change that I’ve seen is that I have made myself seen. And I’ve made myself heard.
I’ve opened up. And it feels okay.
I’m the same person with the same personality. Except that I’m not afraid anymore. Not afraid to talk to people. Not afraid of sharing my opinion. Not afraid of laughing loudly. And I’m so over the ‘crawl under a table and hide’ feeling.
And if this year has taught me anything, it’s that…
(Now don’t you go on thinking ‘life lessons? From Srishti? U kidding?’ NO I’M NOT!! And however screwed up and unsorted my life be, it doesn’t mean that I can’t preach.)
(Come on now, step aside and let me look wise and mature for once XD )
(*pulls out the diary and starts analyzing what life has taught this past year*)
So kids, here are the life lessons from my 22nd year :
- It’s okay to hold your happiness more important than anything else in the world.
- Let people know if you appreciate their existence in your life. Don’t be afraid to say ‘I miss you’ or ‘I like you’.
- Kill all expectations and live. Just do what feels right in the moment.
- It’s okay to fall in love, but it’s not okay to lose yourself in love.
- You don’t need money to have a good time and to make memories. You just need the right people.
- NEVER forget those right people, however distant you get in the years to come.
- It’s okay to be confused and indecisive. Don’t be afraid to change your mind as many times as you want, if it means you being happy with your decision in the end.
- It’s okay to get caught in embarrassing situations. Just something to laugh about in 5 years.
- Don’t pretend to like people you don’t actually like. Who are you trying to impress?
- Don’t be ashamed to ask for help. You’re no superhero.
- DO NOT OVERTHINK. ABOUT ANYTHING.
- Don’t go out if you don’t feel like it. Don’t talk to people if you don’t feel like it. Don’t do anything if you don’t feel like it. If you don’t feel strongly about something, probably nothing good will come out of it.
- Unlike what your mind might think, most people are just people. They are not monsters.
- Go crazy. Once in a while.
So that’s all about what I learnt from my first hand experience at being 22. Every single one of these has a story behind it, but that’s for another time.
Anyway, with this I enter my 23rd year, which, I’ve a feeling, is going to be awesome.
With me finishing college and stepping out, this is the year I get to dream big.
This is the year I get to take on the world.
This is the year I get to write my own fairytale.
We’ll see how it goes.